A ONE-YEAR STUDY OF THE
HARMONY OF THE GOSPELS
Kevin L Greer
Critics of The Bible like nothing better than to find a supposed contradiction within God’s word. If this could be proven, none of us would have confidence in scripture and our spiritual identity would be forever confused.
Actually, the Four Gospels (as with all 66 books of the Bible (Old and New Testaments) have a wonderful harmony that leads honest people to trust scripture for a complete guide to life and eternity. One fact forces this conclusion: “all scripture is given by the Holy Spirit of God” (2 Tim. 3:16), and is infallibly preserved for all mankind. Jesus said, “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my word shall not pass away” (Matt. 24:35). With this firm foundation, we are ready to explore the life of Jesus Christ.
Matthew, Mark, Luke and John give their independent records of Jesus’ birth, life, death and resurrection. The first three books of the New Testament are often called “the synoptic gospels” since they cover the same approximate areas of Jesus’ life. John approaches the life of Christ from a different perspective as he defines the deity of Jesus. Taken together, the gospels reveal both the humanity and deity of Jesus of Nazareth as he matures from a baby in a manger into the crucified savior and victor over the grave by his resurrection.
A study of the Harmony of the Gospels is necessary to gain a full perspective of the mission of Jesus Christ; and anyone engaging in such a study will be led to a deeper faith of Christ and a richer application of His teaching to one’s life and search for truth. - - Tom M. Roberts
There will be one lesson presented here per week - 52 in all. By copying the text of each lesson and pasting it into a wordprocessor; the student will be able to print out the lessons as needed. (KLG)
LESSON 2: FROM THE ANNUNCIATION OF THE BIRTH OF JOHN THE BAPTIST TO ZACHARIAH THROUGH JOSEPH'S DREAM CONCERNING MARY AND JESUS
Section A. The Annunciation Of The Birth Of John The Baptist.
Read: Luke 1:5-25
1. (TRUE or FALSE) __________ Zachariah and his wife were both of the priestly lineage of the children of Israel.
2. Was the system of "courses" of the priests originally set up at the establishment of the Levitical priesthood by Moses? __________ Look up and cite the passage in the Old Testament where the courses of the priesthood were set up____________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________
3. Zachariah and Elisabeth were _______ ___________ before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the ________ blameless.
4. Why did they not yet have any children? __________________________________________________________________________________________________
5. As Zachariah went into the temple, his lot was to: (mark the correct answer)
a. _____ place the showbread on the table.
b. _____ enter the Holy of Holies.
c. _____ burn incense.
d. _____ offer up a burnt offering.
6. The angel which appeared to Zechariah was named ____________. Where did he stand? _______________ _________________________________________________
7. The angel's message to Zechariah was concerning Elisabeth bearing him a son. The son was to be called ____________ .
8. What were some of the things that were to be special about John? ______________________________________
9. (TRUE or FALSE) __________ John was really Elijah the prophet reborn.
10. What was the sign that was given to Zachariah that these things would come to pass?____________________ _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
11. When Elisabeth conceived; she hid herself _______ months; and said the Lord had taken away her _____________ _________ men.
Section B. The Annunciation Of The Birth Of Jesus To Mary.
Read: Luke 1:26-38
1. YES or NO (circle one) The same angel came to Mary that had appeared to Zachariah.
2. Mary was a __________ espoused (to be married) to a man named Joseph, of the house of ______________ .
3. The angel told Mary to _______ _____ ; and that the Lord was her; and that she was highly _____________and ____________ among women; having found favor with God.
4. What did he say about what was going to happen to her? _____________________________________________
5. In explaining to Mary how she, a virgin, could conceive, the angel used her cousin _______________ as an example of how with _______ nothing is impossible.
6. The angel was speaking in fulfilment of prophecy. Which passage of scripture contains that prophecy: (mark the correct answer)
a. _____ Amos 9:11
b. _____ Isaiah 7:14
c. _____ Malachi 4:5,6
d. _____ Acts 21:10,11
e. _____ Deuteronomy 18:1
Section C. The Visit Of Mary To Elisabeth.
Read: Luke 1:39-56
1. Shortly after the angel left her, Mary went into the _____ ____________with haste, into a city of Judah; to the house of , __________ and saluted ______________ .
2. (TRUE or FALSE) __________ When Elisabeth heard Mary's greeting her baby leaped in her womb; in keeping with the prophecy of the angel Gabriel in Luke 1:15.
3. Why was Elisabeth honored to be visited by Mary? _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
4. YES or NO (circle one) Elisabeth blessed Mary and told her that what the Lord had said would come to pass.
5. List as many things as you can that Mary said after "My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour…"
_________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
6. Mary stayed with Elisabeth about __________ months, then returned to her own home.
Section D. The Birth And Early Life Of John The Baptist.
Read: Luke 1:57-80
1. John's birth was a time of great rejoicing for Zechariah, Elisabeth and all their neighbors and ________________ ; but on the eighth day, when they came to circumcise the child; the friends would have called him Zechariah, after the ________ of his ______________, but his mother said "Not so; but his name shall be __________ ."
2. Why did the friends and relatives take exception to the name John?___________________________________ _________________________________________________
3. Because of his doubting the angel's words concerning John's birth, he had been mute and unable to speak ; therefore Zechariah used what to answer the people as to what he would have the baby called: (mark the correct answer)
a. _____ sign language
b. _____ a writing table
c. _____ an interpreter
d. _____ a letter which the angel had left.
4. When Zachariah wrote "His name is John"; what seven things happened?
5. (True or False) _______________ Zachariah's song of praise and prophecy contained references to early promises of God, and to the future work and mission of his newborn son.
6. "And the child (John) grew and ___________ _____________ in spirit, and was in the _______________ till the day of his _____________ ________ Israel."
Section E. Joseph's Dream Concerning Mary And Her Unborn Child.
Read: Matthew 1:18-25
1. Mary was espoused to Joseph, but was found to be with child (of the Holy Ghost). Such was considered the equivalent of adultery; and was punishable by death. But, Joseph was a ________ man, and not ____________ to make her a public example. He was minded to ______ ____ ________ privily.
2. Was the angel which appeared to him in a dream named in the passage? __________
3. Why was Joseph told not to fear to take Mary unto him as his wife?___________________________________ __________________________________________________________________________________________________
4. Yes or No (circle one) The birth of Jesus would be the fulfillment of prophecy.
5. Immanuel, being interpreted is: (mark the correct choice)
a. _____ the sons of thunder
b. _____ God with us
c. _____ a stone
d. _____ the Lamb of God
e. _____ Saviour